Thankfully, COVID-19 cases have been on a steady decline lately, so that means spring sports are beginning to return in full! However, before your child hits the fields and diamonds of Elon Park Elementary or Community House Middle, he or she needs a sports physical first! Why, you ask?
Read on as our AFC Urgent Care Ballantyne team provides some answers.
Why Does My Child Need a Sports Physical?
Sports physicals help determine whether or not it’s safe for your child to participate in a certain sport! Before giving the OK to suit up for his or her school, your doctor will inquire about your child’s medical history and require a passed physical exam.
If you are concerned about what sort of questions your doctor will ask, we’ve listed the typical information that doctors need below.
Common Medical History Topics
- Serious illnesses among family members
- Illnesses that your child currently has or had when he or she was younger, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy
- Previous hospitalizations or surgeries
- Allergies (to insect bites, for example)
- Past injuries, including concussions, sprains or bone fractures
- Whether your child has ever passed out, felt dizzy, had chest pain or had trouble breathing during exercise
- Any medications that your child is on, including things like over-the-counter medications, herbal supplements and prescription medications
Where Can My Child Go to Get a Sports Physical?
Look no further than AFC Urgent Care Ballantyne, once we open in early April! Along with treating aches and pains, infections, and bone breaks, our team will offer sports physicals for children without the long waits and high cost.
Check out our list below for a little more information on what we typically inquire about during the physical exam.
Typical Components of Physical Exam
- Record height and weight
- Take blood pressure and pulse
- Perform vision test
- Check heart, lungs, abdomen, ears, nose and throat
- Evaluate posture, joints, strength and flexibility
Remember, sports physicals are an important aspect in keeping your child safe! AFC Urgent Care Ballantyne is opening soon, so stop in and see us.